Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Just Keep Swimming...

I know it's been a little longer than I'd have liked, I have been recovering since my ER visit. It has taken me a while to regroup. I spent a few days on pain meds because my head and back were killing me. The headache is gone for now but my back is still really bothering me where my spinal taps were done. I don't know if this is normal either but I get this strange cold, almost wet sensation on that spot but when I touch there it doesn't feel like either of those things are occurring. It must be a little nerve damage but I am not sure.
So, so far- after reading reports and a visit with my PCP I have been told that I have "tiny calcification in the brain" slightly elevated white blood cells in the CSF and air pockets in my skull. None of those things were explained all that much and were shrugged off as incidental. Isn't that ironic!? So many CM/SM patients are told that these are just "incidental findings." Me-I am calling their bluff! I was told by a good CM/SM friend tonight to try not to obsess over the internet and research.  I know she is 100% right but it is so hard not to when the people who are supposed to be professionals tell you nothing or don't take you seriously. Well when I searched these "incidental findings" I found that brain calcification occurs in elderly patients which causes them to forget (I am 28!) I also read that elevated white blood cells could be autoimmune disease and air pockets around the brain means trauma and could require a medically induced coma! Needless to say-I will read no more. I am sure that none of those things relate to me but it's hard to know when these physicians are right or wrong when you have been misguided so many times. I am trying to not be a Web MD junkie and hoping that my Neurosurgeon will return my call soon so I can find some peace of mind.
For now, I know that decisions need to be made in the near future, I know that I can't continue the way that I have been and I know how difficult it is going to be even when I do finally decide  either way but in the words of Dori, I am trying hard to "Just keep swimming."
This is it for now. The kiddo's start school tomorrow so we need to get to bed but I want to thank you again for reading. I hope this helps you as much as it does me. We have to be in this together or who knows where we would be!

No comments:

Post a Comment